In an effort to live in the moment and be positive I've made a commitment to starting my Mondays in August by writing down my #mondayfivefavs. Clearly today is WEDNESDAY so I'm not even doing a good job at my own self emposed program, but whatever. If you make the rules, you can also break them, right? Need a refresher for last week? If not, let's jump right in.
1. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. I loved him when he was on The Daily Show, but he's even better on his own show. The best part being that since it's on HBO Oliver can let it all hang out. Something about him being able to curse and take it that much farther into inappropriate territory makes it so much juicer.
2. The Imoji app. Do you like emoji's? Well take it a step further and download the free Imoji app and turn your own photos into textable emoji's. Why would anyone want to do this you ask? Because it's awesome and you can turn horrible pictures of yourself into emoji's to weird your friends out with. There also is a library of celebrities and additional weirdness such as the one below of Miley Cyrus' head on a t-rex. Because, why wouldn't you want to text that to someone?
3. Podcasts. With a commute that can be anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour depending on traffic, the only thing that keeps me sane is listening to podcasts. Some of my favorites?
- Planet Money – Did you know that the paper we print the dollar on has been made by the same family owned business since the 1700's? I didn't either till I listened to a podcast by Planet Money.
- Put Your Hands Together with Cameron Esposito – An hour of comedy hosted by the one and only, Cameron Esposito.
- Savage Lovecast – Dan Savage, Seattle's raunchy sex, marriage and life councilor takes on your questions and usually makes you laugh, and sometimes even think. Don't listen with kids in the car though just FYI.
- Snap Judgement – Storytelling with a beat. Each week follows a theme, and stories have made me think, laugh, and sometimes cry.
- TED Radio Hour – Everything you love about TED Talks, in an hour long podcast!
- Stuff You Should Know – Exactly what it sounds like! I recently learned about Gypsies or "Romani" and now I know much more than what you've seen on American Gypsy Wedding.
- This American Life – My favorite podcast of all time. The Godfather of Podcasts. Stories you never want to end.
4. Manicube. Our office added a new perk to our life by letting the ladies of Manicube stop by twice a month for 15 minute nail treatments. Both the price and the convenience can't be beat. Plus, makes you feel like your work actually cares if you like being there with perks like these.
5. Dinner Parties with new friends. Last Saturday we went to the city for a dinner party and it was delightful. No Chicago bar hoping trying to talk over the noise, just good company, good food, and good drinks. Maybe a little too many drinks for myself, but I digress. In the end it was exactly what I've been missing since we moved to Chicagoland.
That's it for this week, here's to hoping there's five favorites rolling around in your life.