I’m going to try something in August. In an effort to pull myself from the funk that has descended over me the past couple weeks, going forward, each Monday I am going to start off by listing my Monday Five Favs.
Five things, concepts, ideas, images, whatevs that are making me happy. Through the rest of the week, if I find myself letting the fog sneak in, I can reflect on my previous five favs, or work to find the next five. I’ll check in on Sept 1st and see how the project has, or has not affected my current outlook.
1. Kiddie Pools. I realized the other week that I have not been tan in over 11 years. ELEVEN YEARS OF PASTY WHITE SKIN. Thank you Seattle and Alaska for keeping sun cancer at bay, but oh boy have Adam and I been loving this summer full of sun, cocktails, and most importantly, kiddie pool soaks. Yes, I know this is a white trash pool party, but you know you wish you were here.
2. Yoga Tuesdays. Work recently began offering a Tuesday yoga class for $4 and it has become the highlight of my week. At 5:15 I walk to the lobby of our office (seems odd, but it actually works) and take my place on my matt under the rainbow skylight. By the end of the class I feel so relaxed, so centered, my muscles the perfect balance of stretched and sore and I head home. It both makes me happy because it’s yoga, and because our company believes that offering things of this nature is important for employee happiness.
3. Hitting “booked” on our Sept 26th – 28th flight to Seattle to celebrate my best friends’ wedding. Not only do I get to watch her marry her amazing fiancé, I also get to be in my favorite city of all time, surrounded by oodles of long lost friends. The weekend will be so short, but it will be so refreshing. Booking that ticket was a highlight of my weekend.
4. Crazy Eyes from Orange Is The New Black talking about what love is.
"It's like you become, more you, which normally is like, 'BLUAHSHAH'… But, now it's ok, because, the person, like, whoever, they chose to take all that on. All that weird stuff, whatever is wrong, or bad, or hiding in you. Suddenly it's all right. Suddenly you don't feel like such a freak anymore."
5. Wedding Dress Party. Finding out today that one of my friends who is a recently engaged lady (!!!!!!!) will be coming to Chicago the first weekend of September to try on wedding dresses made my damn week. Being able to mark my calendar with things like, “bestie coming to Chicago for wedding dress shopping” truly made my day.
So there we have it. Part one of an August long Monday morning experiment. Honestly, I do feel a little better writing it all out already. And, I’d love to hear your #MondayFiveFavs in the comments, or on instagram or twitter. Here’s to a lovely week kittens.