With summer kinda in full swing around here (one day I’m using our new fireplace, the next we’re having dinner on the patio) it’s all been about the backyard. A couple weekends ago while I was knocked on my ass with a serious cold Adam built me three raised garden beds to add to the backyard. Last year I had a small section of dirt I carved out for two tomato plants, but beyond that I didn’t get to dive into my green thumb like I would have liked. This summer I swore it would be different.
As you can see I’m going much bigger this year. Beyond all the lovely flowers scattered throughout my yard I’ve added a lot of tasty treats. This year I’m growing the following:
- Two felt pots full of potatoes (felt pots are ideal for growing potatoes because the felt drains well, and the black felt absorbs heat to grow your potatoes)
- Bee Balm (technically you can make tea with it, but I’m just adding it in pots near my raised garden beds to bring extra bees)
- 6 Broccoli Plants
- 8 White Onions
- Green Beans (Adam still needs to attach the trellis to the back of one box, but we’ve got a little time still)
- 2 Tomato Plants – Heirloom Beef Steak Variety & Cheery Tomato
- Yellow Squash
- 2 Blueberry Bushes (!!!!!!!!! I’ve always wanted Blueberries and I finally have some!!!!!!! So many !!!!!!!!!!!)
And what’s amazing is I’m growing all this in three 2’x4′ raised garden beds, and a couple containers. It’s amazing how much food you can grow even in tight quarters. I mean hell, remember how much food I grew on a balcony in Alaska? I think this year we’re going to have a really great loot, and I can’t wait to keep expanding and expanding till half the lawn is mine for the planting.
Anyone else upgrading their garden this year to include veggies?