If you’re anything like me this summer and grew zucchini at home, or you just enjoy the zucchini abundance each summer you might be finding yourself scouring the internet looking for new ways to cook with zukes. Each summer I plant a zucchini there’s a point in the summer where I’ve frozen batch after batch of the stuff and I still have fresh zukes coming out my ears. I’ve turned it into muffins, fried it, grilled it, made savory pancakes, added it to soup, to pasta, to salad, and now I’ve also made it the main ingredient in a simple but tasty casserole.
If you too find yourself with too much zucchini this summer and want a cheap, easy, and tasty way to use up a few fresh zukes I highly recommend making this Zucchini Casserole.
Details – To the best of my knowledge prep time is about 10-15 minutes, cooking time about 45 minutes. Serves 6.
Zucchini Casserole – INGREDIENTS:
- Box of stuffing – I used turkey Stove Top
- 1/2 Cup / full stick of melted butter
- 4 cups of zucchini or about 3-4 full zucchini
- 1lb of hamburger, 1lb of ground sausage, or 2 cups of cubed cooked chicken – whatever you like best!
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic (if you’re like me and use 3 times the recommended amount of garlic in any recipe)
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Italian spice blend
Zucchini Casserole – DIRECTIONS
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl mix the stick of melted butter with the dry ingredients of the Stove Top/Stuffing mix. Set aside half of the stuffing in a separate container to be used as the topping.
- Cook your hamburger or ground sausage with half your garlic and 1/4 of your chopped onion. Season with salt and pepper. Once cooked through strain away grease.
- Mix your cooked hamburger/sausage/chicken with your chopped zucchini, condensed soup, remaining garlic, remaining onion, sour cream and half of your Stove Top/Stuffing mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste as well as a healthy dash (or 4 if you’re me) of your Italian spice blend. Mix, mix, mix until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and spread out the contents evenly. Sprinkle the second half of the Stove Top/Stuffing mix on top.
- Bake uncovered for 40-50 minutes until topping is golden brown and zucchini is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Still looking for more zucchini recipes? Try some of these other favorites of mine: